Teh tarik, or ‘pulled tea’, is more than a beverage. An iconic Malaysian drink, the process of making the tea is a form of art.
And this is how you can make it at home:
The following recipe is for 2 servings.
- 2 + 1/2 tablespoon tea dust
- 500ml or 2 cups of hot water
- 4 tablespoon condensed milk
- Mug with handle X 2
- Coffee filter
- In a big steel cup with a handle, put powdered tea and add hot water. Cover and leave it to steep for about 5 minutes. Strain through a coffee filter into another steel cup with a handle. Add condensed milk. Stir well.
- Holding a clean steel cup with tea in one hand, pour tea into a mug in another. Repeat the process a few times until tea is frothy. Try to pull it from as high as possible, allowing it to mix thoroughly and frothy. Serve hot or with a few cubes of ice for teh ais.