A 15-year-old Chinese tourist has defaced a stone sculpture in an ancient Egyptian temple with graffiti. His parents have apologized after the teenager defaced a stone sculpture. This act drew ire in both Egypt and China as it created a massive online blacklash among China’s unforgiving netizens (citizens on the internet).
Naughty boy added his name on Egypt’s priceless historical relic
The Chinese boy named as Ding Jinhao carved his name on the relic saying, ”Ding JInhao was here” inside the 3 500 year old Luxor temple. This photographed was taken by an embarrassed Chinese traveller who shared this picture on weibo, a chinese blogging site. He said, ” the saddest moment in Egypt. I’m so embarrassed that I want to hide mself. I said to the Egyptian tour guide I am really sorry”.
“We want to wipe off the marking with a towel. But we can’t use water since it is a 3,500-year relic.” It didn’t take long, actually, just a day, before outraged netizens tracked down Ding in Nanjing. Ding’s parents quickly contacted media outlets. “We want to apologize to the Egyptian people and to people who have paid attention to this case across China,” Ding’s mother said in a China Daily report.
On Sunday, Ding’s school website was hacked by some unknown people. The visitors were forced to click on a message box which said ” DIng has visited this place” before entering the website quoted the Beijing News. The site now can on long be accessed. The only journalist who is Li Shaofu from the Modern Express had direct contact with the boy’s parents and said the boy has to realize the impact of his crime and his family has been forced to move from house to house because of the disturbances from the reporters who have descended.
Ancient Egyptians 3,500 years ago would never thought of adding Chinese characters into their arts
Ding’s parents said they shouldered the responsibility of what their son did, adding that he had learned his lesson. Other individuals who shared the same name Ding Jinhao has to publicly declare they have never been to Egypt in order to avoid repercussions. In a state-run Xinhua media report, one of the agency’s photographers said local Egyptian staff had worked to try and clean the sculpture. While there was some improvement, the graffiti could not be totally removed. Future visitors to the temple will be able to see the boy’s name.
The bad manners of some Chinese tourists, which include spitting and littering, have featured prominently in the media in recent years. In March 2009, a retired man from Changzhou, Jiangsu province, carved his name on a rock in Taiwan’s Yehliu Geopark, which triggered intense criticism. In February, a tourist carved his name on a large cauldron in Beijing’s Palace Museum. Failing to find the culprit, one of the museum’s staff posted a picture of the vandalized cauldron online.
Chen Xu, a researcher from the China Tourism Academy, said the Tourism Law, which will take effect in October, will force some Chinese tourists to behave properly at tourist sites, but in the long run the key is to raise awareness of the importance of cultural relics and proper manners. “Travel agencies and guides should also be responsible for preventing tourists from vandalizing cultural relics,” he said.
Ye Qianrong, a professor of Chinese studies at Tokai University in Japan, said Chinese tourists’ practice of leaving down their names at tourist sites could date back to the “cultural revolution” (1966-76), when many young students wrote their names in many places. Ye said the lack of education for good manners in schools and families is also to blame.
Outbound Chinese tourism has expanded rapidly in recent years. In 2012, Chinese overtook Americans and Germans as the world’s top international tourism spenders, with 83 million people spending a record US$102 billion on international tourism. That growth has brought with it a backlash in some industry sectors.
Earlier this month, Beijing called on its nation’s tourists to improve their behavior, with Vice Premier Wang Yang stating it was important to project a good image of Chinese tourists. Interestingly, the photographer’s tour guide in Egypt allegedly saw no reason to blame the boy, saying it was the tour guide’s responsibility to prevent vandalism.