1. France was still executing people by guillotine when Star Wars came out
Star Wars premiered in theatres in May 1977. The last execution by guillotine took place September 10th of the same year.
2. The first pyramids was built while the wooly mammoth was still alive
While most mammoth died out 10,000 years ago, a small populations survived until 1650 BC. By that point, Egypt was halfway through its empire, and the Giza pyramids were already 1000 years old.
3. Harvard University was founded before there was even calculus
Harvard is the oldest highest education institution in the US, founded in 1636. Calculus wasn’t derived until later in the 17th century, with the work of Gottfried Leibniz and Isaac Newton.
4. The fax machine was invented the same year people were travelling the Oregon Trail
The first fax machine was developed by Alexander Bain in 1843, meanwhile The Great Migration began across America.
5. The jewellery company Tiffany & Co. has been around longer than Italy
Charles Lewis Tiffany and John B. Young founded Tiffany & Young in 1837, while Italy didn’t become a country until 1861.
6. Every two minutes, we take as many photos as all of humanity took during the 1800s
7. If the history of Earth were compressed to a single year, modern humans would appear on December 31st at about 11.00pm