1. Fingertips are nasty. They are home to various types of bacteria, fungus and yeast (EWW)
One particularly prevalent germ found under nails is Staphlococcus aureus, which can cause a load of crazy skin infections like boils and abscesses. Mmmm, oral boils.
2. Sucking and chewing fingernails will lead to an even greater bacterial paradise
Back in 2007, Turkish scientists tested 59 people to see whether nail biting had any real effect on transporting bacteria to the mouth. They swabbed each person’s mouth for saliva to check for diarrhoea and vomiting bacteria such as Escherichia coli and many other nasties starting with E. And guess what? Seventy-six per cent of those who bit their nails tested positive, compared to just 26.5% of non-biters. So if you don’t want to spend half your life shitting for Britain, you might want to take your fingers out of your mouth, now.
3. Biting your nails causes dental damages as well
In real hardcore cases, nail biting has resulted in tooth fractures, tooth loss, and crazy, displaced jaws.
4. Nail biting can make you prone to grim gums
One particularly horrendous case study mentioned in a report by Dr Carlene B. Krejci mentioned a kid who suffered from gingival (gum) swelling under one of his teeth after years of sticking his craggy, half-eaten fingernails under the gum tissue of his tooth. Turned out, there were SIX FINGERNAIL FRAGMENTS STUCK UNDER HIS TOOTH.
5. It can also develop skunk breath
There’s plenty of bacteria living in your mouth and most of it is meant to be there, but if you keep sticking your fingers in your mouth you’re going to introduce a ton of gross germs too.
6. Your fingertips can soon turn into pus bath
Basically, it’s like finger herpes, which is actually caused by the cold sore virus. It can be cured by pills, but sometimes it has to be surgically drained.
7. It can also lead to ORAL STIs…FOR REAL!
So it turns out that this horrible habit can even GIVE YOU HERPES. It’s pretty rare but there have been occasions where STIs have resulted in oral lesions (lip blisters) thanks to a transference of bacteria from finger to mouth. Stay woke.
8. Braces nail biters put the brace at risk from breaking
it can also cause or increase root resorption in teeth undergoing orthodontic treatment, which IRL means that your body’s own cells start to EAT AWAY AT THEMSELVES and dissolve tooth structure.
9. If you have nail polish on, you should know that it is poison and it should not be chewed
10. And lastly, if you keep biting your nails, your nails might never grow back
In other words, biting far enough down the nail bed means that no nail can latch on in future and so nails remain as stumps FOREVER.